NWRB leads Philippine delegation on capacity building course in GIS Development in Korea
Eleven Philippine delegates from NWRB, National Irrigation Authority (NIA), Philippine Atmospheric Geophysical and Astronomical Agency (PAGASA), National Power Corporation (NPC), and Manila Water Company Inc. (MWCI) led by NWRB Deputy Executive Director Jorge Estioko visited Korea to attend the first training on Capacity Building Course in Geographic Information Systems (GIS) Development for Management Level held on December 1-6, 2014 at the K-Water Academy in Daejeun.
The training, which is one of the components of the Integrated 3D Geographic Information Systems (GIS)-Based Water Resources Management Information System in the Provinces of Pampanga and Bulacan Project, aims to:
1. To enhance administrative level manager’s understanding and support of the on-going GIS Project;
2. To boost sharing of hydrologic measurement data of each organization;
3. To achieve the integrated water resources management and operation know-how in Korea;
4. To get the information of reasonable water facilities management knowledge and advanced technology and integrated insight; and
5. To strengthen future cooperation in water resources development and management areas between the Philippines and Korea.
The course included lectures at the K-Water Academy and visits to the Integrated Water Resources Management Center in the K-Water Headquarters, Korea International Cooperation Agency (KOICA), Korean Aerospace Research Institute as well as the Ganjeonggoryung weir, art gallery and exhibition at the Architecture of River Culture (ARC).
The on-going KOICA supported project on Integrated 3D Geographic Information Systems (GIS)-Based Water Resources Management Information System in the Provinces of Pampanga and Bulacan aims to enhance the capability and decision-making support system for water resource plan, management and policy making in the involved areas.